Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Domestication of Me

I have always been the cosmopolitan girl with no real need to manage my own household (or housework!). To put it simply, domestication was never hardwired into my system.

With my impending marriage, I have been overwhelmed with the intense preparations -- phobias and lack of domestic skill struck me as a very serious personal limitation in the near future.

I sketched out a six-step program to liberate my soul.

Step one is to compose this list, of course.

Step two, identify my phobias and my current domestic skill sets.

Step three, identify theories and techniques to combat household hysteria.

Step four, putting theory into practice and immersing myself in the world of Martha Stewart.

Step five, evaluation.

Step six, final exam and graduation ceremony. This is when everyone has to curtsey or bow to me because I have achieved zen-like domestic goddess status.

This entry clearly ends at step one. Follow my journey and misadventures. Wish me luck.

No comments: